Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Grogaldr



THE SPELL OF GROA

Grogaldr


(Svipdag said:)
1. "Awake, Groa, good woman, awake! From the door of the dead I wake you: see now how badly your son to your grave-hill has wanted to visit?"
(Groa said:)
2. "What aliment have you my only son, what makes heavy your heart, that your mother you call, who under the grave mould does lie, and has left the world of the living?
(Svipdag said:)
3. " The crafty woman she who in her arms embraced my father has set for me a cursed task. To journey where one cannot, to go she bade me to meet fair Mengloth."
(Groa said:)
4. "Long is the way and wearisome, but longer a man's love will last, if you win that which you wish. It is well for you only what the Norns work nonetheless."
(Svipdag said:)
5. "Speak for me such spells as will speed my way! Shield and shelter your me your son!
(Groa said:)
6. "First heed then, that which I know to be most helpful, that spell which Rind spoke for Ran: it will help stop your shoulders from shaking when things seem most shocking;
7. "This other heed you: if ever you are wearily walking on your way: on all sides may you be guarded, when with mocking words you are met.
8. "This third heed you: if in threatening waters you come close to your death: to Hel should go Hronn and Uth, may they dry up the depths for you!
9. "This fourth heed you: if an enemy comes upon you, set to kill you: let their hearers withhold their hands from you, and be made to meet yours halfway.
10. "This fifth heed you: if chained up you are, fastened hand and foot: a loosening spell I will speak over your limbs, so that the locks will burst off your legs, the fetters fly from your feet.
11. "This sixth heed you: if while on the sea the weather rises up more wild than men can handle: wind and water my witchcraft shall lull; then fearlessly you may fare forth!
12. "This seventh heed you: if searing frost beset you on fell high faring: may the deadly cold not over come you ever, nor rob your limbs of their liveliness.
13. "This eighth heed you, if you find yourself on a misty night on the moors, and ill overtake you, or badness from the wraith of a Christian wretch!
14. "This ninth heed you: if with haughty thurs you find yourself jousting with words: wit nor words will you ever be lacking, on order of your heart!
15. "May your errand no longer seem evil to you, nor let you turn from your love: on earth-fast stone I stood within doors, these spells while I spoke for you!
16. "Of your mother's words mindful you should be in your heart, darling, dwell on them: luck-everlasting in life shall you have, the while my words you heed!"


No comments:

Post a Comment